A Family Day Out Discovering Prehistory!
Situated several dozen meters from the Grand Roc Cave, the rock shelters of Laugerie-Basse, a prehistoric site dating from -15 000 and -10 000 B.P., have served a as reference for prehistorians the world over.
Thanks to the many archaeological discoveries made here, the shelters provide evidence of levels of cultural and artistic activity unrivalled in the region, or even elsewhere in Europe.
The quantity of exceptionally varied decorated objects found at the site provide a perfect illustration of the artistic capacities of these “modern” prehistoric people.
- 1 Carpark
- 2 Shop Entrance
- 3 3D film Projection Room
- 4 The Cro-Magnon Architectural Workshop
- 5 Ruins of semi-troglodyte houses (putlog holes, hood moulding)
- 6 The rockshelter "les Marseilles" and the Lookout post
- 7 Stratigraphic Cross Sections
- 8 Semi-troglodyte Houses
- 9 Restaurant
- 10 Ruins of semi-troglodyte houses (putlog holes, hood moulding)
- 11 Staircase leading to the Grand Roc Cave
Live the Experience of a Prehistoric, Archaeological UNESCO World Heritage Site.
The Family Day Out trail introduces you to the richness of the site. It starts with a 3D film which addresses the principal aspects of the site (geology, archaeology, way of life and symbolic expression) and shows you, close up and from every angle, the objects for which Laugerie-Basse is famous.
Next, with the help of an interactive tablet children and grown-ups alike are invited to carry out fun, virtual archaeological excavations and to see, with the help of augmented reality, what this site was really like thousands of years ago.
- Outdoor visit - unlimited duration
- Free visit of the shelter of Laugerie Basse
- Tablets are handed out at the reception desk
- Come and discover this exceptional rockshelter, home of our ancestors and one of the must-see sites of the Grands Sites du Périgord!
Don't forget the Dual Ticket!
Enjoy a guided visit of the Grand Roc Cave and a non-guided visit of the Rock Shelters of Laugerie Basse, both of them UNESCO World Heritage Sites, at a preferential rate. Schedule a visit to the Grand Roc and then you are free to visit Laugerie Basse whenever you want as the ticket is valid (once) until the end of the current calendar year.My tickets